Chapter 16: Thank You for Your Hard Work (Part 1) - I Thought I Picked Up a Girl Who Had Fallen Down, But It Turned Out To Be The Future Demon Lord

Chapter 16: Thank You for Your Hard Work (Part 1) - I Thought I Picked Up a Girl Who Had Fallen Down, But It Turned Out To Be The Future Demon Lord




<<Back>>    <<Next>>


Kindly join Our Discord for Announcements: (* There will be an announcement today.*)


Chapter 16: Thank You for Your Hard Work (Part 1)



The fire, which had been burning so vigorously, has calmed down and is now producing a slow stream of smoke.


The sound of rain and the darkness of night remains unchanged.


She must have been tired from the waves of emotions overflowing through her slender body. Now, Spica is sitting on her knees, her face in her lap while breathing softly in her sleep.


Many of the words she spoke were cold. For instance, "It hurts. I just can't forgive them…”


But there are a few exceptional words she said while steadily looking up at me.



"Thank you for being so considerate of me. I'm so glad you're here, Sun-kun.”



She whispers to herself.


I say in a low voice, “Don’t sweat about it.” 


Taking a slow breath,  I lift up her bangs with my right hand.



"You're going to hurt yourself if you sleep like that.”



There is no response.


She is sitting on her knees, soundly breathing in her sleep.


...As I’m left with no choice, I put the fur on the ground, then lift her knees and lay her down on the fur.


I’m not in the mood to go to bed.. so I thought to drink a little and then cover myself with a blanket. However, as I try to get back to the campfire, I can’t move my body away from Spica. 


Her hands firmly gripped the edge of my jacket.



"...You're sleeping, aren't you?"



I whisper again, but there is still no reply.


I didn't feel comfortable shaking her off, so I sat back down, trying not to make a sound.


I took out a bottle of traditional drink that I had gotten from a place I had visited in the past, and slowly heated it in a ceramic bowl with the flame from my fingertips. Waiting for the drink to warm up, I listen to the sound of the rain, and then sip it, a little at a time so as not to get myself drunk.


… It has a refreshing aftertaste as if I’m drinking water. It is so delicious.


The rainy wind is chilly. But the heat from the alcohol warms the bottom of my body and is so comfortable.


With the rain pouring down on us, I lick my lips as I drink.


I feel calm. It's as if the depths of my heart have become one with nature, and all of my obscene human problems have disappeared into the distance.


I sip my drink again.


When I was traveling alone, the atmosphere was always like this.


It is fine, but traveling with someone else is also something …that is not bad.


When we left, I told Spica that I will take her to the most beautiful places I can find. But I wasn't aware of it, but it seems I'm enjoying this trip with her more than I thought.


I scratch my cheek with my finger, even though it doesn’t itch.


It has been about an hour since I have started drinking.


Without a second thought, I looked at Spica, and our eyes met. Her eyes are slightly open though.



"You're awake. It's still night, why don't you go back to sleep?"


“...”



She did not reply.


But Spica stares at me as if she has never seen my face before.


Her gaze shifts from my eyes to my face, and then to Spica's own hand, which was gripping the hem of my dress.


She silently let go of her hand and turned her head away. Her white skin is illuminated by the flames of the fire, and is distinctly recognizable red, but I know that it is not just the color of the fire.


She put her face down as if she is cowering and let out a moan that cannot be described as an ah or an oo.


...Haha. You are embarrassed by all the things you've blurted out earlier, right?


A small smile spread across my face, "You don't have to worry about that.”


Not that I am drunk to that extent, but I take out a tartaric fruit from my pouch and throw it into my mouth. In exchange for the bitter taste spreading in my mouth, the pleasant intoxication I was feeling disappears like a falling wave.


Spica's embarrassed face is cute, like a little animal, but if I leave her alone, she will continue to feel nervous like this.


Spica's body trembles as she lets out a wry smile without even trying to hide it.



"If you don't like it, let me know.”



I remember what Spica had done to me at the bottom of the big mouth.


So, I gently reach out to her head and put my hand on it. I then pat her head and let go of my hand.


I say, "I knew what Spica was thinking, so don't worry too much about it.


Her voice of disapproval leaks out again from usual Spica after hearing my words.



“...More."


"Hmm?"



A voice like the sound of a bell rolls over.



"Pat me more."



…. Silently, I continue to pat Spica's head.


The sensation of her hair running through my fingers, it's so different from my stiff, habitual hair. She has silky and smooth hair that doesn't catch on my fingers. The horns on the edges of her small head give my hand a soothing sensation.


Spica's head moves slightly as if she is pressing against my hand.


Her ears and cheeks, which I can see through her hair, are stained a deep red.


When I see this, heat rushes to my face. I feel as if I have been hit by a bonfire.


This is not good.


I feel like I've pulled the trigger on something different and decisive.



“...”



Spica's breath leaks out as if it is poking at the back of my throat.


I hear it, and this time my hand stops stroking.



"It's done."



It’s a tone I have never heard before as if someone other than me had spoken it.


I lightly pat her head.


Silence.


The only sound between me and Spica is the sound of raindrops falling on the ground.


I take a slow, deep breath to cool my head.


I’m supposed to get rid of the ... tension, but what's the point of making myself feel embarrassed too? I bite down on the thoughts that come to slightly calm my head.



“... Umm, I haven't eaten dinner yet. Do you want me to make you some food?"


“...Sure."



  • Translator: Heartless



<<Back>>    <<Next>>




1 Comments

Post a Comment
Previous Post Next Post

Advertisement

Advertisement